Record of some of the computer tech I deal with so that it's documented at least somewhere.

Thursday 26 February 2009

Creating a vblade for Debian Lenny

Getting the right aoe.ko to install straight onto an aoe target is (probably) a lot of fannying
And I think this is the starting point. At least now I know how to run Qemu better so I don't need to install onto a real PC

Download the netinst iso from debian - debian-500-i386-netinst.iso

make a qcow disk
slap:/home/qemus# qemu-img create -f qcow lenny 4G
Formatting 'lenny', fmt=qcow, size=4194304 kB

I discovered you can specify a full IP for the vnc so you can expose it on the lan :)

slap:/home/qemus# qemu -hda lenny -cdrom debian-500-i386-netinst.iso -boot d -vnc 10.0.0.1:3

vnc into it, install as normal
slightly concerned one sets the hostname at install. I must find out how to change that later.
I'm going to split the partitions up so I can serve / /usr /home /tmp swap and /var from different targets. I'm thinking it *might* be possible to mount them ro so multiple comps can read the same vblade
4 hours later and it's still installing

All installed, now to shift /usr /var /home to NFS targets

No comments: