Record of some of the computer tech I deal with so that it's documented at least somewhere.

Thursday 4 March 2010

My arenas are too big

I thought having 4gb arenas would be a good match for dumping to DVD but it's not because you have to read the arenas out in one go, there's no offsetting and although arenas only grow, the daily gpg encrypted version of the unsealed areana has different output depending on the length as well as the contents. Offsite copying is also maximized in this manner.

The ideal solution is to match the arena size to the daily growth and adjust when adding new arenas. I've not added new arenas to my venti yet so maybe there's even a way of automating it.

I'm going to go for 200Mb arenas. Gpg manages some compression so we might get 4 arenas on a CD or 25 on a DVD.

So apart from the occasional massive burst of Gb files, the daily "email & logs" reports will be maxed out at 200Mb instead of the just under 1.2Gb I've got atm. Uploading that offsite is just too much.

No comments: