Record of some of the computer tech I deal with so that it's documented at least somewhere.

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Round and round the garden

Go was playing up on FreeBSD (or maybe I've learned enough to cure that now, not sure yet) so I decided to get a Qemu image of some Linux up and running.

Debian was the one that finally worked.

Now, I use Plan 9 as my working environment. I run a Qemu image of it on a FreeBSD machine in the Co-lo which I connect to with drawterm.
I need to be able to run commands on the Debian from within the Plan 9, usually via win, so I can plumb the error messages (e.g. file.go:23).

I made a diagram of what I ended up with.
diagram

So today I tried to compile some C.
cc1: error: file.c: Value too large for defined data type
A fantastic error message if ever I saw one.
naturally someone else has already had that error and consequently I discovered that GCC can't compile code if it resides on a Samba share because the inode numbers are too big.

The solution is to remap the inode numbers in mount.

So the mount command in the diagram is out of date, it is now

# mount -t smbfs //10.0.2.2/kam /mnt/kam2 \
nounix,noserverino,uid=1000,gid=1000,credential=/root/kam.password


Also I had to use the IP address rather than the hostname, even with an entry in /etc/hosts. I probably need a WINS file somewhere, cba with that

No comments: